Established in April 1954 as “Development Officers Training Centre” by Government of India, Ministry of Community Development, Panchayat Raj and Cooperation to impart training to Block Development Officers of Community Development Projects spreading all over India
In the year 1958-59, the Institute was renamed as “Orientation & Study
In April 1967, the management of Training Centre was transferred to the State Government by the Government of India.
In the year 1970 the Institute was renamed as “State Institute of Community Development and Panchayat
The institute’s name was changed as State Institute of Rural Development in 1983
In the year 1994, the Institute was renamed as “Andhra Pradesh Academy of Rural Development” and seven study centres were opened to cater to the emerging training needs as a consequence of 73rd and 74th Constitutional Amendments.
In the year 1996 the Centre for Disaster Management was opened in
A.P. Academy of Rural Development.
The Extension Training centres were brought under the Administrative control of APARD in the year
The Centre for Development studies was established in the year 2000
From 5-8-2002 onwards, this Academy is being known as “AMR – Andhra Pradesh Academy of Rural Development” in commemoration of the then PR &RD Minister Late Sri Aliminati Madhava Reddy.
The Government of Andhra Pradesh (PR & RD Department) has accorded the status to the Academy as the Nodal Agency for training and capacity building in Panchayat Raj and Rural Development Department
The Academy has celebrated it’s Golden Jubilee year in 2004.
Recognised as a Nodal Agency for organizing training programmes to the Revenue Officers in the State on Capacity Building by Chief Commissioner of Land Administration in 2005
AMR-APARD has been designated as Mother Organization for District Livelihood Resources Centres
(DLRCs) and Cluster Livelihood Resources Centers (CLRCs)
The Institute has entered an MoU with IRSA during 2007, Guntur for running long term certificate/Degree/Diploma courses in the field of Rural Development.
The Institute has entered an MoU with Tata Institute of Social Sciences, Mumbai on 1st January 2009 for running various academic courses in the filed of Panchayat Raj and Rural Development.
Video Conference facility established with all District Head Quarters, Extension Training Centres and National Informatics Centre for organing virtual classes.